What we do
OPS continues to be one of the UK’s leading photographic societies and our aim is to promote an appreciation of all forms of photography, as well as encourage participation no matter what your level of experience or area of interest – newcomers are very welcome. If there is something you think we could or should do, then please let us know!
Our key activities include:-
- Meetings – every Tuesday during our September – May season. This is our main point of contact with each other, The programme has a variety of guest speakers, competitions and discussion evenings, with occasional practical sessions. Your first visit is refundable against your joining fee and you are welcome to attend as a visitor for as long as you like whilst you decide if membership is for you. We hold a pre-meeting huddle for newcomers – between 7.30~7.45pm – you are invited to join other newcomers in hearing more about the evening’s events and what to expect.
- After the meeting there is always a social gathering in the pub. This gives an opportunity for informal chats on all sorts of things including photography!
- An annual exhibition to showcase the work of all members.
- Special interest groups, supported by enthusiasts who arrange a variety of activities to share their knowledge and experience.
- Photo Trips – informally day trips arranged by various club members to visit places of interest in the UK. Past trips have visited Stonehenge, Sheffield, Brighton and Slimbridge.
- Opportunities to enter club competitions, national and international exhibitions/salons. Our members have achieved wide ranging success and will be happy to support and encourage others.
- Photo-walks – join a small group on a walk around Oxford led by one or more experienced OPS members. With expert one-to-one support we will show you how to use your camera, compose pictures and perhaps more importantly how to start ‘seeing’ pictures in the world around you.
- Photo-Tutorials – at small informal group meetings OPS members will demonstrate how to use photo-software and make basic and artistic improvements to your pictures.
- Photo-mentors – improving your photography can seem daunting, especially if you compare your work to those who have been doing it for ages. OPS photo-mentors know this because like everyone they started at the beginning and know how much there is to learn; they will be there to answer your questions (even if you think they’re stupid – the questions not the OPS photo-mentors!) as well as offer whatever support you need. You can choose your mentor and decide how much help you want.
- Website – as a member you can publish images to galleries on the website and receive constructive comments from other members. You’ll also be able to see, and comment on, the work of other members. There is a forum for discussion of any photography-related topic.
- Annual Subscription – £40
- Joint Membership – £75
- Associate Membership † – £20
Meeting Attendance Fee
- Visitors – £4*
- Paid up members – £2*
First time visitors pay the visitor fee of £4 (£6 for premium events) which would be refundable against the annual membership subscription if membership is taken out during the season
OPS promises a great season – if you would like to know more take a look around the web site or contact us – we look forward to hearing from you!
† 50% discount for membership of OPS, if you are a member of OUPS
* Per meeting including free tea or coffee and raffle entry